Thursday, September 17, 2009

No Disclaimers: A Study of Living in the Present

Welcome to No Disclaimers: A Study of Living in the Present.
This blog is a way for me to live in the present, something I am no good at. I have a pretty sever case of the "When
I's." There are two places where this problem lives; in the Past and in the Future.

For example:
FUTURE
When I'm thinner...
When I go to college...
When I get married...
When I have a baby...
When I retire...
When I am tan...
When I pass the test...
When I get a promotion...

PAST
When I was thinner...
When I was in college...
When I was single...
When I was married...
When I worked...
When I didn't have to work...

That's where I live. The past and the future (as in, it's September 17th and I'm listening to Christmas music right now.) I will use this blog to take at least one moment in my day, over the next 365 days, to live in the present. I will enjoy, hate, love, cry, sing, or have an epiphany and it will end up here. Whether something happens or nothing happens I have made it my goal to acknowledge it and write it here.

I believe that life is eternal. I believe in a place with no beginnings and no ends. I feel like we get to that place in the life after this one because by then we'll be just as happy in the place we're in as we've ever been. I look forward to that and need to practice now. No more putting off till tomorrow what I can do today.

If there was a sub-header under my title it would be Practicing Optimism. I'm no pessimist but from what I hear on the metro, at work, and sometimes from my own mouth, I think that most of us need some practice. Whatever happens in my day, good or bad, (and I won't be censoring), I will try to find the silver lining. I have been known to get annoyed at those people but that only hurts me they won't be offended. I am doing this for me, for my family, and for my sanity.

Where does all this enlightenment come from you ask? Well, that's today's entry.

September 17
Listening

Tonight I went on a walk with my friend Stephanie. As my observant cousin put it when she met Stephanie, she is a very attentive conversationalist.
She is smart, fun, creative, motivated, talented and beautiful. You'd think that someone like that would also be too full of themselves to be a great listener, but she's that too.

In listening to me today as we walked in our neighborhood, and by asking the right questions, she not only helped me realize some of my weaknesses but made me realize that I could to turn them into strengths. One of my biggest weaknesses is waiting for the future to happen or staring to hard at the past. Again, that's how this project was inspired and that is what I'm glad about today. I'm glad to have
Steph as a friend, glad to have an excuse to write, and am glad that we can change.